With this lesson, learners will embark on a journey to discover the rich tapestry of life on our planet. From recalling personal experiences in natural reserves to researching and creating visually compelling story maps, they will unravel the importance of biodiversity and the challenges it faces in various regions.
Learners will recall their experience of visiting a natural reserve/park where they have observed a variety of plants/animals and will use that experience to understand the concept of biodiversity.
Learners will pick a region (country/continent) and conduct research to explore biodiversity within that region. They will build a story map using Story Map JS to demonstrate their research.
Learners will explore the challenges that their selected region is facing and discuss strategies to preserve the biodiversity within that region.
Learners should be able to
- Conduct basic research, which includes gathering information from credible sources.
- Define the concept of biodiversity and its significance.
- Identify and list a variety of species indigenous to the chosen area.
- Utilize research skills to gather information about biodiversity in a specific region.
- Construct an interactive Story Map that effectively presents the biodiversity of the chosen region.
- Propose potential conservation strategies or actions based on an understanding of biodiversity.
- Learners will comprehend the meaning of biodiversity and recognize its importance in ecosystems and the environment.
- Learners will apply their research skills to collect data and information on biodiversity within the chosen region.
- Learners will synthesize their gathered information to create an interactive Story Map.
- Learners will critically evaluate the information gathered on biodiversity to propose conservation strategies.
- Teaching Deck
- Video tutorial to get started with StoryMap JS
- Like all lessons on Eddy, this lesson follows a specific approach. If this is your first time implementing an Eddy lesson, check out our 'How to set up an Eddy Classroom' for more information.
- Prepare for necessary technology/hardware in advance.
- Devices (tablets/laptops/chromebooks/computers) for each learner.
- A stable wifi connection.
- Access to StoryMap JS on each device.